Monday, December 26, 2005

Eric Crafton Responds

I emailed my Metro representative right before Christmas about his Bill O'Reilly inspired stand against the forces of darkness that threaten to engulf Christmas. The letter I posted here.

Well, lo and behold, he responded. I emailed him at his governmental address, but the sly fox responded from a home address: craftonfamily@comcast.net . What a snarky little thing to do - now I'm attacking his family, in his mind.

Here's his response:
You missed the whole point. I didn't agree with government's saying that individuals working in government could not say Merry Christmas or Christmas, even in the proper context. As a I Christian, I have the right to say Merry Christmas, regardless what day we agree to celebrate it, just as much as people have the right to mention other holidays. Christmas is a nationally recognized holiday. If you want to let yourself be restricted in what you can say, that's fine. I am not. You are wrong on this issue.

Eric Crafton

I didn't even get a Merry Christmas from him. Of course, it was yesterday. But how he thinks I let myself be restricted in what I can say, when I wished him a Merry Christmas, I don't know. Perhaps we're not dealing with the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Here's my reply:
When has anyone in the Nashville government said that individuals working in government could not say Christmas?

Your proposal stated that the use of Christmas was “affirmed and supported”, not that it had been banned in any way and that it was being reinstated. No one has ever limited your right to say whatever you feel. You’re just looking for some free coattail publicity.

Anyone that’s offended by the phrase “Happy Holidays” certainly doesn’t possess the meek spirit of Christ.

Happy New Year,

Joseph

Maybe he's just miffed that he didn't get the Gummy Bear Award first. He's making a fine case for this week's.

No comments: