Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Harry Potter - Ack!

Super Heavy Spoilers

Maybe this is just me. I had too many hopes for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as a movie. The graveyard scene in particular - that I had all blocked out in my mind.

Okay, the sheer feat of working that incredibly long book into two and a half hours must be honored. Honor.

And I don't hate the movie either. I'm fighting my own version in my own head, so perhaps it hangs together better than I think. But I found it to be the second-best of the films. Azkaban gets the nod as a overall film experience and connection to the book.

The graveyard scene: I think Cedric should have died quicker, almost as soon as they landed. Give Harry just enough time to recognize the statue, and then wham! Cruciatus and wham! Avada Kevadra. Then let Harry realize Cedric is gone while Wormtail shuffles up with his burden. To me, it would be more shocking if it happens quickly, almost casually. That's the thing for Harry to learn: somebody as good and decent as Cedric Diggory is just an afterthought to Voldemort.

Snape: I've heard it said that Alan Rickman alone knows what the end of his character will be (well, besides J.K., of course). That's the only reason he must be hanging around. He is so WASTED in this movie. One scene, that ends weakly, one scene shows us the Snape we know and love to hate. Otherwise, he's playing Moe to Harry and Ron's Larry and Curly. ARGGGGH! The truly subversive thing in Movie 6: Make Snape the main character! Give this man something to do!

Voldemort: We need to hear that Lilly saved Harry by the old magic of her love. I think that Lord Voldemort telling us this is completely wrong. I think that's something he still doesn't get or simply dismisses.

That said, the celebrated misprint of Lilly and James' appearances out of the wand is handled nicely. Tom Gambon as Dumbledore is fantastic. I really like the way Newell emphasizes the scattershot nature of how the magical world operates. It's almost as if Harry's maturity is now allowing him to see how lame his mentors can be.

As always, just read the books. Blog out.

No comments: